Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 95 12:16:05 CST
From:      kwhittle@nebula.tbe.com
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Installation

I have finally managed to get FreeBSD v2.0 (from the Walnut
Creek CDROM) to boot on my machine.  It is a 486DX50 on an AIR
EISA/VLB motherboard, 20MB RAM, AHA-2742 SCSI Controller, Cirrus
5422 video, IBM 1GB SCSI HD, Plextor 4Plex SCSI CDROM, Conner
Floppy tape, etc.

I managed to get the bindist to go on ok.  The installation
failed on the X11R6 installation and I got dumped into a shell.
It boots on the HD ok, but gets an error (page fault?), core
dumps and continues on.  From the shell I mounted the CDROM
(/dev/cd0c) and tried to 'sh extract.sh' for the man pages, and
X11R6.  When I try to use man I get a core dump, grotty.core.
When I try to extract the X distribution I get a core dump when
it tries to run tar, tar.core.

>From where I am, how do I get tar and man to work properly?  What
is the proper way to get the rest of the system installed.
Should I just start again and make sure I extract the man pages
before I try to extract the X?

Any help for this newbie to FreeBSD is welcome.

Kerry

P.S.  Where on the CDROM is adduser?