Date:      Mon, 04 Dec 2006 12:55:53 +0900 (JST)
From:      Hiroki Sato <hrs@FreeBSD.org>
To:        jhb@FreeBSD.org, scottl@samsco.org, lydianconcepts@gmail.com
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   strange behavior of ioapic on PDSME motherboard (was: LSI 53C1030/mpt(4) problem)

----Security_Multipart(Mon_Dec__4_12_55_53_2006_547)--

Hiroki Sato <hrs@freebsd.org> wrote
  in <20061202.201139.35852412.hrs@allbsd.org>:

hr>  Recently I bought Intel Pentium D 945 (3.45GHz), Supermicro PDSME
hr>  (Intel E7320), and LSI21320RB (PCI-X SCSI HBA using LSI 53C1030).  I
hr>  installed 6.2-RC1 to an old PATA HDD and attached it to the
hr>  motherboard, and it worked fine.  However, I installed 21320RB and
hr>  made several SCSI HDDs attached, some strange problems occurred.

 It worked when I turned off ioapic and/or acpi.  When acpi was
 disabled, mpt seemed to work but em did not work due to the UP/DOWN
 storm ("vmstat -i" did not display an irq for em0 at that time).
 When ioapic was disabled, all devices worked with shared irqs.

 So, this is probably an ioapic's issue, not a mpt's, and PDSME
 specific I guess.  Sorry for the false alarm.

 John, are there any big changes of ioapic support between RELENG_6
 and CURRENT?  I would like your comments to narrow down the cause.
 The 7.0-CURRENT November snapshot could probe the mpt (as a very slow
 device, though), and both em and mpt worked with acpi/ioapic enabled.
 I had a look at the changes in sys/i386/i386, but I am not sure
 if which is likely (or not)...

Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org> wrote