Date:      Thu, 07 Jul 2005 17:51:03 +0200
From:      Matthias Buelow <mkb@incubus.de>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SATA support in 5.x ... ?

"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> writes:

>How stable is it right now?  I was talking with a friend yesterday about
>it, and he mentioned something about 3 re-write of the code over 2
>releases, and that each one wasn't backwards compatible with the other, so
>you ended up with corrupted file systems ...

I'm running on an ICH6 controller (no RAID) with a Seagate disk and
don't have any problems, except frequent ATA timeouts at boot (only at
boot, before mounting the root fs) but that appeared only after I
updated to 5.4-STABLE on June 21 (never seen it before with 5.4-RELEASE
or 5.4-STABLE before that date). Once it sucessfully managed to mount
its root fs (typically about every 2nd boot attempt), I see no further
problems.

>I'm looking at upgrading my only SATA server to 5.x, since the 4.x that is
>currently running on it is getting hangs whenever load is put onto the
>drives :(

If you have a server with IDE or SATA, you might also be interested in
the write barrier thread that's going on on -questions.

mkb.