Date:      Sat, 18 Oct 2003 23:02:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Don Lewis <truckman@FreeBSD.org>
To:        in2@in2home.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: fxp0: device timeout with PAE enabled

On 19 Oct, in wrote:
> Hi,
> We use IBM Netfinity 6000R with 6GB ram to run a large BBS in Taiwan.
> everything works perfectly above 4.9-RC without PAE,
> but after enabling PAE, something wrong with networking.
>
> with intel 82558B, 82559, 82550, and 82551QM (using fxp driver)
> we always get the following error messages:
> 	fxp0: device timeout
> 	fxp0: DMA timeout
> and it's not working.
>
> with onboard pcn0 (AMD PCnet/PCI 10/100BaseTX),
> we get a lot of packet loss (20% ~ 70%) without any error message.
>
> Realtek 8139 is not working without any error message.
>
> xl with PAE will cause kernel panic when booting:
>    Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
>    mp_lock = 00000002; cpuid = 0; lapic.id = 03000000
>    fault virtual address   = 0x10
>    fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
>    instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xa0192429
>    stack pointer           = 0x10:0xa0395e10
>    frame pointer           = 0x10:0xa0395e20
>    code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
>                            = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
>    processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
>    current process         = 0 (swapper)
>    interrupt mask          = net tty bio cam  <- SMP: XXX
>    trap number             = 12
>    panic: page fault
>    mp_lock = 00000002; cpuid = 0; lapic.id = 03000000
>    Uptime: 0s

It looks like the pcn and rl drivers are not yet compatible with PAE,
even in 5.1-CURRENT, at least according to the PAE kernel configuration
file.

The fxp and xl drivers should be compatible (they appear to be supported
in -CURRENT), but one thing to watch out for is that you can't kldload
any kernel modules when running the PAE kernel because the modules don't
get compiled with the correct magic to be PAE compatible.  I don't know
if this explains the symptoms that you are seeing.

I'm somewhat suprised that there isn't a PAE config file in -STABLE that
can be used as a starting point.  You might want to take a look at the
-CURRENT version of /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/PAE.  I don't happen to know
of any driver status information specific to -STABLE, though.