Date:      Sat, 10 Mar 2001 10:56:56 -0500
From:      Chen Zhao <zhaoc@cloud9.net>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: if_fxp - the real point

\- Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au> stated on
/-	[Sat, Mar 10, 2001 at 04:49:12AM -0800]:

> I have the NDA'ed docs for the Intel gig and fxp cards.  After Intel's
> spectacular efforts to bury Johnathan Lemon's driver for their gig card
> (that outperformed the Intel Linux driver by something like a factor of 5),
> I have lost all respect for Intel's networking division.

Sorry to hear that.  The last thing I can find on the Intel gig stuff
was dated at the end of 1999, where Johnathan Lemon wasn't sure if
he could release his version, and Matt Jacob had a version hacked from
the released Linux drivers.  I take it Intel didn't give the hoped for
permission.

> As long as Intel are being this stupid, Intel hardware is never going to be
> well supported.  The fxp driver is starting to slip behind because Intel
> wont give DG updated fxp docs without him signing an NDA that prevents him
> from releasing the updated driver.

That part I get, hence the question of what's the next best card/driver.

I was also (coincidentally) thinking of the Intel ads which feature
Yahoo! ads using servers with their processors.  I was wondering if
perhaps someone technical at Yahoo might have some clout with Intel.
Yes, I realize that's pretty naive. :)

\_____End_of_Statement_____/