Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 2000 11:23:49 +1100 (EST)
From:      Tony Maher <Tony.Maher@eBioinformatics.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   rsh problems

Hello,

just recently upgraded a 3.4 machine to 4.2beta
FreeBSD office 4.2-BETA FreeBSD 4.2-BETA #0: Sun Nov  5 17:48:54 EST 2000

and now have trouble with rsh (which I don't normally use).
I have identical trouble on my laptop which has been tracking 4-stable
since 4.0.

solaris> rsh office
Protocol error, office.au.int.en-bio.com closed connection

solaris> rsh office ls
Protocol error, office.au.int.en-bio.com closed connection

freebsd> rsh office
rcmd: office.au.int.en-bio.com: Message too long

freebsd> rsh office ls
rcmd: office.au.int.en-bio.com: Undefined error: 0

hosts.allow is set to ALL (for debugging this problem)
telnet/ftp work fine.
standard buildworld/buildkernel/installkernel/installworld/mergemaster used.

Any clues?

thanks
tonym