Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 2002 09:57:18 -0400
From:      Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Has the foretold fragmentation of Linux begun?

On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 11:19:45AM +0930, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> My impression is that the Linux distros are consolidating, not
> diversifying.  My guess is that in a few years there will only be two
> or three serious contenders.  Some Linux people say that's the case
> today.  Certainly people are beginning to realise the disadvantages of
> the current plethora of distros.

One other comment here, to drag this back to *FreeBSD* advocacy:

Many of the so-called distros out there now are actually based on one
of the big distros, with only one or two changes.  These distros die
after a release or two.  (Admittedly, some of these 1-2 changes can be
quite large, i.e., using KDE instead of GNOME.)

We do something very analagous by providing the ability for people to
build their own custom releases.

If anything, the roll-your-own-distro market might be a prime
candidate for conversion to FreeBSD.  We provide a "distro-building
toolchain," where you can change anything you like and build a custom
FreeBSD, completely from source, with whatever level of GPL-ification
you prefer.

==ml

--
Michael Lucas		mwlucas@FreeBSD.org, mwlucas@BlackHelicopters.org