Date:      Sat, 4 Oct 2014 16:29:16 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        "lokadamus@gmx.de" <lokadamus@gmx.de>
Cc:        Maurizio Vairani <maurizio.vairani@cloverinformatica.it>, User Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Downgrade a pkg

On Sat, 04 Oct 2014 15:52:38 +0200, lokadamus@gmx.de wrote:
> In the past was portdowngrade used for such things.
> http://cipitunk.wordpress.com/2012/01/16/ports-downgrade-in-freebsd/
>
> It is in ports under ports-mgmt.
>
> Hope it is working.

I assume it will not work anymore... :-(

The last time I was using it was on FreeBSD 8, I needed
to downgrade the xzgv image viewer to the last usable
version (which was 0.8_9). It worked like that:

	# portdowngrade graphics/xzgv -s :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.tw.FreeBSD.org:/home/ncvs

Then the desired version would be selected, and the port
would be downgraded accordingly, so it could then be built
from source.

With portdowngrade, CVS has been used to obtain the old
package data, and as the ports collection does not use
CVS now, ... I don't know if the maintainer of portdowngrade
had success bringing the port version access mechanism
into sync with the ability of SVN to check out specific
revisions.

On the other hand, it should be possible to manually
check out a specific version of the whole ports tree
where the port version reflects the required older
version number. This is mainly a SVN thing. Of course
this involves building from source, as pkg, with its
binary package approach, emphasizes the use of release
or most recent packages.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany