Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 2010 16:43:17 -0500
From:      Thomas Dickey <dickey@radix.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new termcap entry for rxvt-unicode-256color

--r5Pyd7+fXNt84Ff3

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 08:11:47AM -0800, Chip Camden wrote:
> Quoth Fr=E9d=E9ric Perrin on Monday, 13 December 2010:
> > Hello,
> >=20
> > rxvt-unicode version 9.09 was released last month. It added support for
> > 256 colors in the default configuration, and the default value of $TERM
> > changed to rxvt-unicode-256color (from rxvt-unicode).
> >=20
> > This results in slightly incorrect colors, and some programs like vi(1)
> > refuse to work. It is my understanding that I should update
> > /usr/share/misc/termcap. The diff between rxvt-unicode and
> > rxvt-unicode-256color seems rather short; on a Linux machine, I have :
> >=20
> > girafe:~% infocmp -d rxvt-unicode rxvt-unicode-256color
> > comparing rxvt-unicode to rxvt-unicode-256color.
> >     comparing booleans.
> >     comparing numbers.
> > 	colors: 88, 256.
> > 	pairs: 7744, 32767.
> >     comparing strings.
> >=20
> > However, I don't how how to update the termcap file. From my
> > understanding of the manpage, the following command should give me the
> > necessary information :
> >=20
> > girafe:~% infocmp -C -u rxvt-unicode-256color rxvt-unicode
> > rxvt-unicode-256color|rxvt-unicode terminal with 256 colors (X Window S=
ystem):\
> > 	:tc=3Drxvt-unicode:
> >=20
> > As you see, their is no mention of the 256-color capabilities, this
> > doesn't seem correct. How do I update the termcap file ?

The 256-colors aren't shown since the corresponding terminfo expression
doesn't map to termcap.  (I added a workaround recently in ncurses to
recognize this special case).  For example

xterm+256color|xterm 256-color feature:\
        :cc:\
	:Co#256:pa#32767:\
	:AB=3D\E[48;5;%dm:AF=3D\E[38;5;%dm:Sb@:Sf@:

--=20