Date:      Wed, 22 Feb 95 10:42:01 +0100
From:      kentp@isy.liu.se (Kent Palmkvist)
To:        freebsd-install@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problem building world from shadowed CD directory

Hardware: 486DX 8M, 340M IDE, ST02 SCSI + CDROM + 300M SCSI. Software:
FreeBSD 2.0R (the CD has January 1994 printed on it :-) CDROM from Walnut
creek.

Installed a shadow directory tree of the /cdrom/filesys/usr/src tree with
the cd-link utility from the cdrom (Directory tree with soft links to files
on the CDROM). Have patched this tree up to FreeBSD 2.0-950210-SNAP. All
this to save disk space.

Problem: Make world does not install the files, but rather the links into
/usr/share/FAQ, and /usr/share/examples/lkm and probably some more places.
Got som errors during install into /usr/share/examples/lkm (Sorry, did not
save them).

I would like the contents of the files to be copied during installation
rather than the soft link.

Another suggestion would be that the source tree part of the SNAP was in
some form of patch format. This would enable some of us to have the source
tree installed, do our own hacking, and have a current version without
having a lot of disk space allocated for the source. OK, ok, if I want it
then why don't I write it myself...

Thanks for a great job! I really enjoy my CDROM now!

/Kent

Kent Palmkvist   	     	            Internet:   kentp@isy.liu.se
Dept. of Electrical Engineering     http://allvis.isy.liu.se
Linköping University
58183 LINKÖPING                     phone: +4613281347
Sweden                              fax:   +4613139282