Date:      Thu, 27 Sep 2001 09:37:01 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen), Joe Abley <jabley@automagic.org>, Juha Saarinen <juha@saarinen.org>, "'Andrew Reilly'" <areilly@bigpond.net.au>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 127/8 continued

> Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 22:49:25 -0600
> From: Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> In message <200109242043.f8OKheR16906@ptavv.es.net> "Kevin Oberman" writes:
> : > Are IANA/IETF/Internet standards EVER applicable to what goes on inside
> : > our computers?   Or just to the data crossing our Internet interfaces?
> : > (Not rhetorical - I'm wondering.)
> :
> : No. This is explicitly stated in an early RFC (although I have no idea
> : which one any more). If it does not leave a system, no standard RFC is
> : relevant. That is one reason that the handling of 127/8 is limited to
> : the statement that it should not appear as a destination of any packet
> : leaving the system.
>
> Well, to be pedantic, there are several RFCs that describe host
> progamming APIs.  Those are relevant to what happens inside the host
> :-)

Yes, many RFCs do describe APIs and lots of other things that are
limited to a host, but none are standards track RFCs. All are
informational or BCP or something of that sort. RFCs can be on most any
subject (and some are very far field), but none of those are standards
track (Proposed Standard, Draft Standard, Standard, ...).

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)