Date:      Fri, 9 Feb 1996 08:32:49 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@iafrica.com>
To:        tevens@inreach.inreach.com (Tim E.)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: msdosfs

On Thu, 8 Feb 1996, Tim E. wrote:

>         I have a problem and was hoping that you could help. I want to mount
> my other MSDOS formated partitions. I have two scsi drives, both 1.01 gig.
> Boot drive (sd0) does not have any other partitions. Second drive has two
> partitions, 600 MB for MSDOS and the rest for BSD. I have got it to work
> somewhat. It won't let me copy/move anyfiles that are bigger than one
> cluster. Here is the message that I'm getting:
>
> prompt# mount_msdos /dev/sd0s1 /drive_c
> mountmsdosfs(): root directory is not a multiple of the clustersize in lenght
> ''It prints the above line three times more but with the date added.''
>
>          I have the kernel set for msdos fs and i am able to look at files
> but can't copy or read any files that are bigger than one cluster.
>         If you have any ideas one what I can do to fix or what I'm am doing
> wrong, I would appreciate it.

Currently the FreeBSD msdosfs has a few problems.  One of these affects
only certain system configurations: typically those with large DOS
partitions which may have been split using a utility such as FIPS.  If
your system is susceptible, even mounting a DOS partition read-only may
result in instability and the corruption of other partitions.  The message
you mention indicates that the msdosfs is likely to have problems on your
system.

The FreeBSD msdosfs implementation is currently under revision.  Until
this is complete, you'd be well advised to avoid mounting DOS partitions.

--
Robert Nordier