Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 2001 11:30:45 +0100
From:      Xavier Galleri <xgalleri@enition.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel memory allocation bug ...

Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> * Xavier Galleri <xgalleri@enition.com> [010125 10:36] wrote:
>
>> Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>>
>>> I told you about 3 times to provide us with a stipped down source
>>> code module which reproduces this "bug".
>>>
>>> You haven't done this.
>>>
>>> Therefore I can't help you.
>>>
>> I did not expect to make trouble to anyone, just sorry for the
>> inconvenience ... I am not sure that we could easily provide for some
>> code sample on this issue since this could be expensive, but I will see
>> for sure (I easily understand that this is easier for anybody to track
>> down a problem in such conditions ;-).
>>
>> That said, I still remain astonished not to get any comments or
>> questions or hints or any other reactions about the analysis I have
>> already provided. I have seen other mails in this list that exposed
>> different kind of issues without requiring code sample to feed a
>> constructive discussion. Did I miss something ?
>

> You missed the two other people reporting "bugs" the same week you
> began to.  I spend a couple of hours trying to track them down and
> they wound up being errors in thier code and not FreeBSD's.
>
> Honestly the symptoms you describe lean towards error on your part.
> Even if they are not your error they seem pretty hard to reproduce.
>
> You've been complaining about this problem for at least a week.
> Producing some code so that we can test couldn't take more than a
> couple of hours and would have probably had your issue resolved
> by now.
>
> This is why I'm irritated that you still haven't provided any code
> to reproduce it.

I wish I could avoid this misunderstanding !

The fact is that I was expecting some hints to track down the problem on
myown, especially concerning the FreeBSD behaviour in case of free list
shortage. Also, I would appreciate to know if my understanding of the
figures I got from 'cnt' or of the scheduling behaviour with regard to
kernel preemption is correct. I think this would be helpful for me to
build the code sample you are requesting.

> I do appreciate your mini-kernel debug howto, I've got it saved
> for future reference.

I am sincerely happy that I could provide something helpful ...

Well, actually, it sounds that I did go to far to be able to retract
myself, so I will let you know of any progress I will make asap ;-)

Cheers,

Xavier