Date:      Thu, 17 Jul 2003 11:57:54 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Things to remove from /rescue

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 01:08:05 -0700
"David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org> wrote:

> - growfs, how would growing / fix a borked /lib??

Perhaps because / isn't large enough and it's needed to enlarge it to be
able to install the necessary libs?

> - swapon, this is not needed to fix a whacked out /lib.... unless we add
>   Emacs to /resuce.

I can't come up with a scenario for this, but this doesn't mean there
isn't one. Do you have a stronger reason than "I don't know how this
could be useful"? Hmmm... perhaps mounting a mfs disk, untaring
something to it, searching for the right files... whatever, I think we
should keep it in /rescue, but I will be quiet if someone removes it.

> - tar, pax (w/{bz,g}zip) can do everything GNU tar can.

POLA, people use tar more often than pax. I know a lot of people which
haven't ever used pax, but they know how to use tar very good.

I agree with you about the other listed programs.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
                   It's not a bug, it's tradition!