Date:      Sat, 15 May 1999 07:25:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Roar_Thron=E6s?= <roart@nvg.ntnu.no>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: large master.passwd

:> :
:> :On a site with 20k users in the master.passwd, and where NIS is not
:> :trusted, the master.passwd is distributed to each workstation.
:> :The pwd.db and spwd.db are sized around 10Mb.
:> :
:> :Sometimes, those .db files get corrupt.
:> :I suspect it has something to do with the machines being reset etc before
:> :the sync is finished. (The machines are dual-boot, and there are a lot of
:> :users around.)
:> :
:> :I did some patching, and have not seen corrupted .db-files since.
:> :
:> :So how usable is this patch?
:> :Worth intregrating?
:>
:>     What version of FreeBSD are you running?  mmap is used heavily with the
:>     password DBM's and at least one mmap bug known to cause corruption in
:>     those files was fixed a month or two ago.  I do not remember whether it
:>     was backported to 2.2.x, though.
:
:2.2.8R.
:But planning to upgrade the workstations to 3.1R/3.2R soon.
:
:-Roar Thronęs

    Ok.  I'm pretty sure the bug related to the database corruption has
    been fixed.  It may even be fixed in the 2.2.x branch ( post 2.2.8 ),
    but I'm not sure there.  If this is the bug I think it is, it is fixed
    in 3.x and 4.x.

    Your hack should fix the problem temporarily.  One of the mmap() bugs
    was related to page unaligned operations.  By changing the
    cache size from 2K to 8K you probably worked around the bug sufficiently
    for your purposes.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>