Date:      Mon, 05 Jan 1998 22:01:53 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Robert Bastell, Red Deer College, (403) 342-3499" <rbastell@ACDM.RDC.AB.CA>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Oh no, not another question? <ERK!>

Okay,  (I'll be more than happy to be told to go look it up 'AT'...)

One question.

I have:

- 2.2.2-RELEASE
- HP Vectra VL5XX Box  *Daily upgrades on the BIOS kinda thing..[B.

At the install stage were it said "Would you like to use a true partition
entry..." I said "No"...

HP doesn't have the ability to load the OS cause the lacking MBR...  So I
use a bootable floppy that when the bootloader comes up I type my
drive/file and it boots fine.

Now I suppose I could re-install, but it's a Critical system.  Can't
afford another shut-down.  Besides, I got the box configured the way I
like it!  (Scripts, etc...)

Is there a way to tell the bootloader to go to the device/file
automatically?  #freebsd told me about configuring a boot.conf file, which
sounds great to me... Hmmmm, is that hidden?  Not a standard (for me) file
that I can just vi eh?

I'm quite happy to rely on my UPS to keep it from failing in a blackout,
but it's a real pain when I would love to reboot from home and can't cause
there's no one on console to type wd(0,a)/kernel.

It's not critical to answer this one soon.

I really love FreeBSD, keep up the good work you guys.

Robert.
Red Deer College Webmaster/LITE Centre Technical Director
(403)343-4082

By the way,

P200MMX
96MB's RAM
2 +2GB IDE Drives
10/100 Intel Ether Express (there a new driver for this? should I pop in
to INTEL?  ** I know, I said only one question.)
10Mb Connection to net (We have a higher speed line, but pay for that
only.)
FreeBSD 2.2.2

	-apache
	-samba
	-dnews

Kicks some major but for our server.  They are running NT all over the
place here, until I got here.  They think I smoke drugs or something
<SMILE> cause I use UNIX, but I sure don't spend the time they do
'configuring' the server. Thanks guys, you've made my job really easy.