Date:      Tue, 29 Jun 1999 21:16:43 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        "Robert J. Adams" <radams@siscom.net>
Cc:        "Barrett Richardson" <barrett@phoenix.aye.net>, "Francisco Reyes" <freyes@inch.com>, "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@pinyon.org>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Redundant Remote Webserver clustering

>Barrett,
>
>Any particular reason you chose the Alteon over the Foundry ServerIron? We
>are getting ready to pick up a l4 switch and are looking for
>recommendations.

   For what it's worth, a client of mine has had a lot of trouble with the
Foundry gigabit switch (fastiron?)...several of the ports have gone
permanently dead and others go dead until you power cycle it. I've never
had problems like that from the Alteon ACEswitch 180 that I have here.
I've found Alteon products to be very solid all around and I personally
think they are worth any extra money you may have to pay for them. I'd like
to also point out that Alteon has been very kind to the FreeBSD Project -
providing us with both documentation and hardware to develop a driver for
their PCI GE interface.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org