Date:      Thu, 13 Mar 1997 19:15:09 -0400 (AST)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Angelo Turetta <ATuretta@stylo.it>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "'freebsd-isp@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>

On Wed, 12 Mar 1997, Angelo Turetta wrote:

> I remember a discussion (it was more than a year ago) about the
> optimisation of the freebsd mailing lists.
>
> When using Majordomo as a list manager, you end up with a single message
> being sent to all the users in the list. If some server is slow to
> reply, sendmail takes forever to process the queue, because it cannot
> proceed in parallel with the other recipients.
>
> There should be some tools to break the huge recipient lists into a
> number of smaller ones, thus parallelizing a great deal of work. Too bad
> I cannot remember any name....
>
> Any pointers ?

	Check the majordomo FAQ for the location, but there is a program
called 'bulk_mailer' that does this.  I breaks down the list into smaller
lists sorted by domains, so that a queue makes a connection to the remove
host, and just send all the email for that domain through at once...

	Using it here and it works beautifully...