Date:      Thu, 28 Jul 2005 21:32:21 -0400
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Daniel O'Connor <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, julian@elischer.org
Subject:   Re: AltQ + ng_iface

Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> On Friday 29 July 2005 10:10, Julian Elischer wrote:
[ ... ]
>>ipfw and dummynet work on ng_iface I believe.
>
> Well yeah, but dummynet is a little inflexible and can't prioritise ACKs (for
> example)

Either the "established" or the "tcpflags !syn,ack" keywords in a rule adding
matching packets to a high-priority queue ought to do it...?  Or perhaps you
meant something more specific than just "TCP packets with TH_ACK" set?  :-)

Anyway, I'm not convinced that trying to classify packets within an established
TCP connection in order to place them on different queues is a really good
idea, since you're quite likely to reorder the packets by doing so.  I'd expect
both latency and bandwidth of a TCP connection to suffer very noticably if more
than 10% or so of the packets arrive out of order...

[ Hmm.  I suppose that one could make an exception to the above generalization
if URG was set, but the TCP stack already makes an effort to prioritize and
deliver out-of-band urgent stuff as quickly as possible, anyway, right? ]

--
-Chuck