Date:      Tue, 6 Jun 2000 13:39:45 -0600
From:      Chris Wasser <cwasser@v-wave.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Multiple LPT Ports: Second Posting

I have since continued to play with this problem trying to resolve
with no luck. I find it VERY hard to believe FreeBSD cannot
handle 3 LPT ports in one box. I really need this to work, so I'd
appriciate any responses.

-----

I've gone through older mailing list archives, and it seems I'm not
to first one to ask this. Earlier today I tried getting a 4.0-STABLE
box to recognize 3 LPT ports, one onboard and 2 lava isa cards:

lpt0: io 378 / irq 7 [onboard] - ECP mode
lpt1: io 278 / irq 5 [lava isa parallel card] - ECP mode
(bidirectional jumper on the card)
lpt2: io 3bc / irq 7 [lava isa parallel card] - ECP mode
(bidirectional jumper on the card)

Now anyone from the 'ol DOS days know this combo works, and
I figured it'd work under BSD as well, and was quite surprised to
find it didn't. Here's my relevant config:

device ppc0 at isa? irq 7
device ppc1 at isa? irq 5
device ppc2 at isa? irq 7
device ppbus
device lpt

Unfortunately, these lava cards do not allow any other irq other
then 5 and 7. Nevertheless, plain 'ol DOS seems them just fine
and uses them without a hitch (not win-dos, msdos6.22)
Recompiled, and rebooted. BSD saw lpt0 and lpt1 but refused to
see lpt2 erroring out with "cannot reserve i/o space". So I hit the
manpage for lpt(4) and ppbus(4) and ppc(4) and read up on
configuring the devices. So I tried setting them to BIOS probed
ports:

device ppc0 at isa? port? irq 7
device ppc1 at isa? port? irq 5
device ppc2 at isa? port? irq 7

That didn't work, and reported the same error message, except
this time I lost lpt0 in the process as well. So I headed back to the
manpages and decided to try polled ports (as I have to use lpt
ports as polled devices via lptcontrol(8) otherwise they print
really, really, really slowly. Had the same problem under Linux as
well many moons ago.. Anyways...) so I tried:

device ppc0 at isa? port IO_LPT1 irq 7
device ppc1 at isa? port IO_LPT2 irq 5
device ppc2 at isa? port IO_LPT3 irq 7

This also didn't work, and produced the same results as my first
example. All three devices were created in /dev so that wasn't the
issue. I then went back to the mailing list archives and tried an
example from 3.x releases (which to my understanding with the
nlpt device works just fine)

device ppbus0
device ppbus1
device ppbus2
device lpt0 at ppbus0
device lpt1 at ppbus1
device lpt2 at ppbus2
device ppc0 at isa? port IO_LPT1 tty irq 7
device ppc1 at isa? port IO_LPT2 tty irq 5
device ppc2 at isa? port IO_LPT3 tty irq 7

This didn't work either. The lpt devices moved up one device
number, lpt0 became lpt1, etc. I simply got frustrated and decided
to give the mailing list a shot. I'm really surprised this isn't working,
but I figured I must be missing something here, so if someone can
clue me in, I'd be really grateful.