Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 2000 19:57:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Rich Prillinger <richp@richp.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   SCSI errors: Invalidating pack

I've been messing around trying to get SCSI to work on a
FreeBSD box for a few weeks now.  No matter what combination
of the following hardware/software I use, I get this error at
some (seemingly random) time during disk-intensive activities
(cvsup, makes, etc):

(da0:ahc0:0:0:0): Invalidating pack
(da0:ahc0:0:0:0): SCB 0x1f - timed out while idle, SEQADDR == 0xa
(da0:ahc0:0:0:0): Queueing a BDR SCB
(da0:ahc0:0:0:0): no longer in timeout, status = 34a
(da0:ahc0:0:0:0): Invalidating pack
(da0:ahc0:0:0:0): SCB 0x1f - timed out while idle, SEQADDR == 0xa
(da0:ahc0:0:0:0): Queueing a BDR SCB
(da0:ahc0:0:0:0): no longer in timeout, status = 34a
(da0:ahc0:0:0:0): Invalidating pack
(da0:ahc0:0:0:0): Invalidating pack
(da0:ahc0:0:0:0): Invalidating pack
(da0:ahc0:0:0:0): Invalidating pack
(da0:ahc0:0:0:0): Invalidating pack
[etc]

After which the machine hangs and requires a hard reboot.

I've tried 3.4-RELEASE, 4.0-RELEASE, and 4.0-STABLE snapshot
(20000718 and 0723) with all the following hardware combinations:

Seagate ST39216W with Adaptec 2940UW Pro
Seagate ST39216W with Advansys 3940UW

Seagate ST39216N with Adaptec 2940U
Seagate ST39216N with Adaptec 2940UW Pro
Seagate ST39216N with Advansys 3940UW

I've tried low-level formating the drive(s) before net-installing.

I've tried two different motherboards/CPUs  (Using an ABIT KA7
with an 800 MHz Athlon currently... or at least trying).  The
other motherboard is a Soyo V6BE+ with a PII 400.

I've tried LVD cables, terminated and unterminated.  I'm confident
this is not the problem since all SCSI cards above detect and report
incorrect termination.  I've tried three different 68-pin cables.

I've tried restoring the motherboards and controllers to factory
defaults.  I've updated the EPROM on the 2940UW Pro controller.
I've swapped the RAM.

Today I had a more experienced colleage try the install on my
hardware to eliminate the possibility of me doing something dumb
every time.  It still broke with the above error during the make
buildworld.

There was some discussion of this error a while back on this
list, but I never saw a resolution (if there is, I can't find it
in the mailing list archives).

Anyone have any idea what might be causing this and how I would
go about fixing it?

Thanks,

-Rich