Date:      Tue, 3 Feb 2009 09:48:13 -0500
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Cc:        Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: svn commit: r187132 - head/usr.bin/make

On Monday 02 February 2009 6:24:17 pm Mark Linimon wrote:
> Why are you being so obstinate about this?
>
> Hundreds of thousands of package builds have been done with make(1)
> before your "fix".  Now there are gratuitous differences in the build
> output.  Why?
>
> This is an immense POLA violation -- which is something you're very quick
> to beat other people over the head with.  The fact that it was done this
> way in the historical past is irrelevant.  The fact that other OSes may
> or may not do it this way is irrelevant.  The fact that FreeBSD has done
> it the way that it has for -- what, 10 years -- *is* relevant, and is
> the *only* thing that is relevant.
>
> There are plenty of other _real_ problems in FreeBSD (e.g. ancient PRs
> assigned to committers that are long-undealt-with).  Rather than arguing
> over a point you've already lost, why not work on those instead?

Yes, back it out now.  Period.  The fact that Warner is doing more work than
just backing the whole thing out is very generous and if he wants to do that
that is fine, but I would just back this whole mess out.  It is nothing short
of a POLA disaster for all of our _FreeBSD_ users who have been used to the
way make has worked on FreeBSD for the past decade.

--
John Baldwin