Date:      Sun, 30 Apr 2000 23:44:00 -0400
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sound skipping

"Christopher L. Goetzke" <clg1@daemon.arh.ms.cdc.com> probably said:
> I tend to get skips while playing audio with mp3blaster; as a quick-n-dirty
> workaround, I fire it up at nice -10 (actually, I usually renice it).  That
> seems to work for me.  YMMV.

Something got a lot worse, particularly with xmms, not long before 4.0
was released.  My 3.4-STABLE box at work running xms with the newest
libraries I could find uses 100% cpu to itself, all the time and skips
with no provovation.

My laptop when it was running 3.4-PAO and slightly older xmms libraries
was fine (same as the desktop box used to be).

My now 4.0-S laptop is better than the 3.4-S desktop but xmms still
takes more CPU and skips a lot more than exactly the same hardware
used to, and the equalizer breaks audio to the point of just
occasional crackling sounds, now.

P.

--
pir                  pir@pir.net                    pir@net.tufts.edu