Date:      Tue, 9 Jul 1996 15:43:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jim Dennis <jim@starshine.org>
To:        olivier@silvercom.cica.fr
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sendmail configuration

> Hi everyboby !
>
> I've installed sendmail as STMP agent as I installed FreeBSD.
> My machine is called silvercom.cica.fr, hostname silvercom
> When I send mail to web@silvercom.cica.fr all is ok
>
> Then I have an alias in the DNS : www.silvercom.com and
> silvercom.cica.fr have got the same IP address.
>
> When I send a mail to web@www.silvercom.com I get the mail back
> with the following error :
> """""""""
> The original message was received at Tue, 9 Jul 1996 14:06:25 +0200
> from silvercom1.ens.ecp.fr [138.195.50.86]

	It looks like your MX records (in your DNS tables) have
	the desired values (but you may want to check them in any
	event -- just make sure that your www's host's MX record has
	a lower value than the MX record for your mailhost).

	In the /etc/sendmail.cf you'll want to change the
	Cw macro line to list the other hosts for which you'll
	want this host to accept mail.  For example mine reads
	like:

Cw starshine.org jadehome.starshine.org starhome.starshine.org

	... which forces my machine to accept mail for both hosts
	in my little LAN at home (the other machines don't have
	hostnames yet.

	I've heard that there's a way to configure some versions
	of sendmail to accept mail for a large number of hosts
	without explicitly listing them in the Cw line --
	I'd love to hear more about that.

> Can someone help me to configure sendmail.cf so tha I can receive
> mail with both address web@silvercm.cica.fr and web@www.silvercom.com

	While you're at it, I'd suggest configuring the www.silvercom.com
	host to masquerade (sendmail.cf's CM macro) so that mail from it
	appears to come from the domain itself.  A typical webhost machine
	won't have enough accounts on it to risk having sendmail listening
	for incoming connections.  I would back this up with pulling
	senmdmail out of the inetd.conf files and adding a cron job to
	do sendmail -q (this tells sendmail to process the queue -- you
	leave off the -bd such that it is *not* instructed to "become a
	daemon")  I would then back this up  with tcp_wrappers and
	packet filters.  The webhost can then send mail -- but not receive
	it.

	This is just a good policy.  If the www. machine has general
	shell accounts on it than you still have a couple of options
	(one would be to have the users on that machine use popclient
	to fetch their mail -- either on demand or via cron -- another
	would be to run the sendmail daemon and configure aliases
	on the mailhost to forward the mail).