Date:      Wed, 21 Jul 1999 16:36:39 -0700
From:      Summoner <summoner@uswest.net>
To:        David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: First time for my own PC hardware

David Wolfskill wrote:
> >Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 16:01:25 -0700
> >From: Summoner <summoner@uswest.net>
> >David Wolfskill wrote:
> >> It's the cut-outs for the (serial, parallel, keyboard, & mouse)
> >> connectors that didn't match up.
>
> >You mean that retangular metal snap-in panel on the top/left of the
> >I/O back panel when the ports are supposed to fit through?
>
> It's a snap-in panel?  Hmmm... could be.  I'll need to check after I get
> home.
>
> But to answer the question, yes; I believe you've identified it
> correctly.  If it's a snap-in panel, ought one be able to obtain a
> different panel to replace it?

A decent mainboard manufacturer will supply you with the correct I/O
panel for the mainboard you bought, and if it's a quality case, the
panel will snap in easily.

The cases I get from Inwin come with two "universal" panels with
pop-outs (like electrical boxes have).  One's for boards that have
onboard RJ45 ethernet.  The other is for boards with onboard
video/sound.  Both have popouts for serial, parallel, USB, and
mouse/keyboard.

> [Urrg.  Thats' a question.  Maybe I
> should redirect to -hardware?]

Should we take this to e-mail?