Date:      16 Sep 2002 18:09:44 -0700
From:      Eric Anholt <anholt@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Everett F Batey II <efb@cotdazr.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Migrating Small i386 4.2 to 4.6.2, risks

On Mon, 2002-09-16 at 17:40, Everett F Batey II wrote:
> As long as I preserve all /etc ../etc what risks go with upgrading
> from 4.2 to 4.6.2 ?  XF 336 to XF 40 ?

If you actually mean "i386" and not just general x86, then XFree86 4 may
be a problem.  Some older chipsets aren't as well supported in XF86-4 as
they were in 3.3.6.

Switching from 3.3.6 to 4.x and back shouldn't be too painful,
particularly if you use packages.  (the dependencies when you use ports
can sometimes be nasty, use portupgrade if you do).  I would recommend
giving it a try.  I don't think the cpu/memory requirements for X have
changed that much since 3.3.

--
Eric Anholt <eta@lclark.edu>
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/dri/