Date:      Sun, 18 Apr 1999 00:53:16 -0500 (CDT)
From:      John Kenagy <jktheowl@bga.com>
To:        Jim Mock <jim@corp.au.triax.com>
Cc:        questions freebsd <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Unable to su on 3.1R

On Sun, 18 Apr 1999, Jim Mock wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Apr 1999 at 12:01:29 -0500, John Kenagy wrote:
> > I give up. I've read the archives, FAQs, man pages, and I feel
> > really stupid.
> >
> > All I get si "sorry" when trying to su.
> >
> > I've deleted and added users again and again, added them to wheel,
> > and checked the login.conf file and all that.
> >

> After adding the login to the wheel group, did you log out and back in
> again to refresh the group rights?

Yes, this really has me baffled. It is one of three intractable
problems (so far...) remaining from a broken install.

I cannot get a printer to run. And Samba refuses to allow any
connections.

I've seen several other posts to the list with similar install woes
and think I should have waited for a new CD. But, being impatient,
I managed to get it running. (I'm certain there are some bad files
on the CD set, one of which has the sysinstall program.)

Its a growth experience. ;-)

John