Date:      Sat, 8 Mar 1997 10:38:21 +0100 (MET)
From:      Tomas Klockar <dateck@ludd.luth.se>
To:        agonzalez@starbase.globalpc.net (Adrian Gonzalez)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Finding the IRQ# for an NE2000 ethernet card

According to Adrian Gonzalez:

> Hello everybody
>
> I have a bunch of NE-2000 compatible jumperless ethernet cards, but I
> have no software or manuals for them.  They get detected at port 0300h
> just fine, but I believe I'm not getting the irq # right, as I keep getting
> "ed0: device timeout" when I try to configure them (with ifconfig).  I
> have tried irq 5 and irq 3 so far, and keep getting the same timeouts.

My experience is that people often use 10 as irq for ethernet.
Since 3 is the serialport and 5 mostly used for soundcard.

> Is there any easy way to check which irq they're set to?  Even if it
> means using some DOS utility program, it would be better than recompiling
> kernels for several irq's.

Why recompile your kernel. enter -c at the boot prompt and type visual later
Then you can configure your kernel att boot time instead.

> The card itself doesn't give much insight as to who makes it, etc.  I
> doubt anybody will be able to tell from this, but I'll include the
> relevant stuff written on the card:
>
> 2000JA  VER 1.1
> 307A
> A 'YES Netware Tested and Approved' logo
> two UMC chips
> three Fil-Mag "chips"
>
> And some other misc text such as:
> this equipment complies with fcc class a
> made in taiwan R.O.C.   :-)
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I have like 8 of these cards
> lying around unused.
>
> thanks
>
> -Adrian

Doesn't tell me anything.

/Tomas

--
Tomas Klockar can be found at the following adresses:

Kårhusvägen 4:23     |  Furuvägen 102       |  dateck@ludd.luth.se
977 54 Luleå         |  871 52 Härnösand    |  dateck@solace.mh.se
Tel: +46-920-231335  |  Tel: +46-611-13393  |  d94-tkl@sm.luth.se