Date:      Wed, 10 Dec 1997 09:46:19 +0100
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Questions about mt and SCSI subsystem

As Dan Strick wrote:

>   For drives
> that are not capable of overwriting EOF marks, I favor the convention
> that a single EOF mark (with no backspace) be written in these
> circumstances and that a double EOF mark be written before rewinds
> (even though this may inconvenience lazy programmers who don't think
> ahead).

Still, this would break appending to the tape, where it leaves the
double EOF.

> The convention that a raw tape driver return a single zero length
> read to mark EOF is very ancient and should be respected because it
> is so darn useful.

Right he is!  Note that this convention doesn't only apply to tape
devices, it applies to any Unix device.  It was handled rather sloppy
in FreeBSD, it's not that long ago that i've fixed the floppy disk
driver's EOF handling.

--
cheers, J"org