Date:      Sun, 5 Mar 2000 11:13:39 -0500
From:      courtney@whtz.com
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Programming Question

hey everyone-

  I am looking for a way to use a closure to trigger an event in a program
running on my BSD box.  Let me clarify, I want to be able to use a switch
or other electrical closure, attached to the computer in some way (I know
it can be done with the parallel port) and use it to trigger events- I.E.
when you get a certain closure, send "x" data out the serial port, when you
get another closure send "y" data out the serial port.

Can anyone point me in a direction on how to go about implementing such a
program and what code to use to get the information from the ports.

I am willing to add a GPI card or the like to the system if need be, but I
would rather not have to ad such an expensive device into the system.

Thanks for all of your help!

Bernie