Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 95 13:18:34 -0700
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@netcom.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        ports@freefall.freebsd.org, hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pending crisis in packages/All/...

> Uh.  Maybe it's just me, but I don't see how this is any
> different than what we have now.

Instead of All/,  networking/, multimedia/ etc. you have

All/
    Multimedia/
	       Sound/
	       Video/
    Networking/
	       www/
	       ipx/
    Editors/

and so on.  There are no symlinks.  All package names are unique
withing the All/ tree -- the dir. hierarchy is merely for logical
grouping (for humans).  I don't know how you plan to change
pkg_add but if I were doing it, I would do something like this:

	PKG_PATH=/local-packages/All://ftp.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/packages/All/
Then
	pkg_add foo.tgz

first looks for foo.tgz in /local-packages/All dir. and all of its
subdirectoris and then ftp.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/packages/All and
all of its subdirectory.

As you can see, the All dir. is redundant :-)

Too bad that : is used in both PATHs as well as URLs.

--bakul