Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2012 11:34:04 -0700
From:      Steven Schlansker <stevenschlansker@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-fs <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Importing spool wedges machine hard

Hi all,

I have a backup server running

FreeBSD d0028.nessops.net 9.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE #0: Tue Jan  3 =
07:46:30 UTC 2012     =
root@farrell.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

There is a single ZFS pool used for storage, configured as such:

  pool: tank
    id: 13753647290422885969
 state: ONLINE
action: The pool can be imported using its name or numeric identifier.
config:

        tank          ONLINE
          raidz2-0    ONLINE
            aacd1p1   ONLINE
            aacd2p1   ONLINE
            aacd3p1   ONLINE
            aacd4p1   ONLINE
            aacd5p1   ONLINE
            aacd6p1   ONLINE
            aacd7p1   ONLINE
            aacd8p1   ONLINE
          raidz2-1    ONLINE
            aacd9p1   ONLINE
            aacd10p1  ONLINE
            aacd11p1  ONLINE
            aacd12p1  ONLINE
            aacd13p1  ONLINE
            aacd14p1  ONLINE
            aacd15p1  ONLINE
            aacd16p1  ONLINE

The setup was running just fine for about a month and a half until =
yesterday when the machine hung hard.  No problem, reset, comes back =
fine.  Few hours later, it crashes again.  Now any attempt to import the =
pool spins the disks for about 15-20 minutes and then wedges the =
machine.  Before it hangs, "top" reports that the zpool command is =
dancing between active (CPU0), tx->tx, and bio states.  Then the machine =
becomes unresponsive (both over the network and at the console) and must =
be reset.

I'm seeing some old diagnostics instructions from =
http://www.mail-archive.com/zfs-discuss@opensolaris.org/msg18818.html =
including running zdb -e -d and zdb -e -b, and they are running right =
now.

But I'm hopeful someone has more concrete advice, as this is a pretty =
important system to me.

Thanks!
Steven