Date:      Mon, 23 Dec 2002 17:50:32 -0800
From:      Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@dsl-only.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: L0phtcrack

On Mon, Dec 23, 2002 at 05:34:13PM -0600, Kenzo wrote:
> Sorry guys, I didn't mean to be so rude.  I just took the first couple
> replies the wrong way. Busy day and MX records not resolving correclty and
> stuff.
> I know that it sound suspicious to ask how to crack the windows password,
> but that is what I need to do, and I really don't have $300 bucks to pay for
> the new version of  l0phcrack.
> Again the reason why I need this, is because a friend of mine forgot his
> windows XP admin password. and since it was the only account on there, he
> can't get back in.  He can't affort to reload, because he got stuff on it
> that he need for school projects and stuff.  I don't really know exactly
> what he's got in it, but he asked me if it was possible to retrieve the
> password or reset it.  I told him it was possible and I've been trying for
> the last 2 days to do it.
> I tried the linux boot disk that suppose to reset the admin password, but
> that didn't work.  I think it only works on 2000.
> then I booted from a win98 boot disk, then use dos ntfs to copy the sam file
> to a floppy and tried to use john to crack it.
> It sais that there's 0 passwords, But when I use a hash retriever, it list
> all the accounts.
> I noticed that there was a version of l0phtcrack on freebsd
> /usr/ports/security/l0phtcrack, and wanted to see if that helped, but I
> can't seem to find where it installs it and how I would use it.
> OK, I hope it was something like what you wanted to hear, even though it
> still sounds suspicious and I understand that.
> I'm an Admin myself.  And for using hotmail account....Computer 101, never
> use your real or company e-mail address to post on forums,  just attracks
> crackers.
> I guess it just depends on the person, I just prefer to use different e-mail
> accounts for work and personal stuff.
> I guest if you guys think that it's wrong to do so, please let me know why,
> cause I really can't think of any reasons.
> Again, sorry guys I didn't mean to offend you.

As a last resort, I suppose you could yank the drive out of the XP box,
put it in your FreeBSD box, mount it and copy off any critical files, then
resintall XP.  Does XP actually trash user data on a system reinstall?
I don't recall older versions of Windows doing that.  I would think that
you could safely reinstall the system without user data loss, as long as
the data was not in some odd, and inappropriate, system directory.  I
could be wrong about this though.

Nathan