Date:      Tue, 07 Dec 1999 12:48:06 -0800
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
To:        will andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Latest laptop recommendations

will andrews <andrews@technologist.com> wrote:

> On 06-Dec-99 Brett Glass wrote:
> > So far, the best candidate I've found is the Gateway Solo 9150 -- not their
> > latest model, nor their fastest (the 9150 has a 333 MHz Celeron). But it
> > seems to use supported chipsets. Does anyone have experience with this
> > model? With others that are worth considering?
>
> I like my Dell Inspiron 7000, which works well with FreeBSD (I can even get
> XF86_Mach64 X server working with the ATI Rage Pro AGP card), however, beware
> the modem. You should be able to get Dell to put one in that works with
> FreeBSD; ask about, say, a "Linux-compatible" modem. :-)

     While I love my Inspiron 7500, I don't think it meets Brett's
requirements (note: the 7000 is no longer available, and there are
rumors that the 7500 may be obsoleted in January or February).  In
particular:

* XFree86 3.3.5 does not work on it "out of the box" (note that this is
  for the 7500, and not the no-longer-available 7000).  The 7500 uses
  the ATI Rage Mobility-P chipset, which isn't yet supported by XFree86.
  I've got an hacked-up (*very* unofficial) version of the Mach64 server
  working, but it's a bit buggy (the server starts corrupting graphics
  after a couple of hours of use, but I think this is an XFree86 bug).

* Sound doesn't work.  The 7500 uses the Maestro 2E, which Brett
  specifically said he didn't want.  FreeBSD-current doesn't support the
  Maestro, and even the OSS drivers don't work (on a recent -current,
  but that's probably due to the recent changes in -current).

     That said, the 7500 is a very nice machine.  Other pros and cons:

* The 1400x1050 display is gorgeous under X.  Going back to 1024x768 is
  like going back to using crayons.  ;-)

* Having built-in DVD/CDROM and floppy drives are very nice.

* Suspend/resume works under Win98 and 3.3-RELEASE.  I don't know about
  -current, as I just installed -current on my 7500, and I'm waiting for
  the pccard fixes (pccard has broken suspend/resume in -current).

  [ Well, if you take out the pccard drivers in -current, suspend/resume
    does work.  ]

  [ Also, by "suspend/resume" in 3.3-RELEASE, I'm talking about
    "suspend-to-RAM".  I haven't figured out how to do a suspend-to-
    disk under FreeBSD.  I'm not sure it's even possible. ]

* The 7500 is a desktop replacement.  It's big and heavy (~9.5lbs+).
  It's fine for carrying to/from work, but it's probably not good if you
  travel a lot.  However, if power, power, and more power is more
  important than portability, it's the way to go.

* Having a 15" or 15.4" display, the laptop is big, and so it won't fit
  into some laptop carrying cases.  I've got a nice laptop backpack (one
  that looks like a plain jane backpack, and not one of those laptop
  cases that say, "steal me"), and the 7500 doesn't really fit.  I have
  to put the laptop sideways into the backpack, and, even then, it's a
  tight fit.

* The laptop can get hot.  I wouldn't want to use it on my lap, as the
  bottom can get uncomfortably warm/hot.  The middle of the keyboard
  gets warm (the hard disk is below there), and the area around the
  [Enter] key to the top of the keyboard gets surprisingly warm
  (probably due to the CPU).  For me, the warm area under [Enter] and
  [Backspace] can get a bit uncomfortable when typing.

  There is a fan to cool the CPU, but, as I'm not doing a lot of
  CPU-intensive stuff, the fan hasn't turned on very often.

  I don't (yet) have the port replicator, and so I can't comment on how
  it affects the airflow.

  [ Note: even though it makes the keyboard warm, I don't think the hard
    disk gets any hotter than those of the other laptops I've used
    (Toshiba 730CDX & HP Omnibook 3000CTX).  ]

* If you order the standard modem, you get a winmodem.  My "solution"
  was to delete the modem from the order, which saved a little $$$.

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@sr.hp.com