Date:      Fri, 08 Feb 2002 11:18:48 +0200
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>
Cc:        jdp@FreeBSD.org, deischen@FreeBSD.org, jasone@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org, jlemon@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Linking libc before libc_r into application causes weirdproblems

"M. Warner Losh" wrote:

> In message: <1013147180.73417.2.camel@notebook>
>             Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG> writes:
> : Based on the problematic code in the ORBit I had prepared short testcase
> : illustrating the problem and attaching it with this message. The problem
> : could be exposed by compiling the test.c using the following command:
> :
> : $ cc test.c -o test -lc -lc_r
>
> cc test.c -o test -pthread
>
> If that doesn't work, test.c is broken :-)

Hmm, as far as I understand in current -pthread is being slowly
deorbited (replaced with just -lc_r), but this could lead to a problem
when some of other libraries the binary being linked with contains
explicit dependency to libc. I think that ld(1) should be smart enough
to reorder libc/libc_r so that libc_r is always linked before libc.

-Maxim