Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 1997 16:04:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Leonard Chua <lenc@earth.infinetconsulting.com>
To:        Doug Russell <drussell@internode.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 56K vs X2?

On Wed, 22 Jan 1997, Doug Russell wrote:

> At 09:26 AM 1/22/97 -0800, Leonard Chua wrote:
> That isn't true.  Even if they have that much of the market, very few (if
> any) of the modems with those chipsets out there are upgradeable to 56K.
> Only new modems sold will be able to use the higher speeds.
Which is a big worry over here :)
I am trying to get confirmation from Livingston about their (new)
portmaster3.

> But, all Courier V.Everything modems ever built and a good chunk of the
> Sportster modems are upgradeable via a simple software upgrade.  Older
> sportster models, I believe, may require an EPROM swap or something to
> update the firmware.
I have no doubts whatsoever about Couriers. Sadly, our budget can't fit
them in. Perhaps you can suggest a warehouse that gives excellent pricing?

> I'd also like to point out that there was at least one company that
> announced that it would be licencing X2 from USR, I can't remember who it
> was, Cirrus Logic perhaps....  It is on USR's X2 web page, however.  So it
> isn't going to be JUST USR.  It is also worth noting that long before V.32
> appeared on the scene, USR was transferring data at 9600 (and later
> 14.4Kbps) with a proprietary protocol called HST, and it was quite popular
> even though only USR HST modems supported it.

I think when I quoted that salesblurp from the Livingston rep, I should
have included the last part, which basically said that USR will only
license their X2 for modem manufacturers, and not manufacturers of
products of the other end of the line - i.e. the Dialup Access
Servers/Hubs/Concentrators(/whatever else vendors like to call them).
So unless their policy changes, the PortMaster3s will not get X2 upgrades
(but rather rockwell 56k instead). This poses some worry.

Thanks for the feedback!

Cheers.
Len