Date:      Fri, 06 Mar 1998 01:30:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com>
To:        FreeBSD Mobile <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   oddities with. 2.2.5-R on Toshiba Satellite 105CS

I just tried installing FreeBSD on my Toshiba Satellite 105CS.

Has bad block handling improved recently?  I remember trying to install
2.2.2 and not being able to, because my internal IDE disk had lots of bad
blocks on them.  2.2.5's installer scanned for, and locked out, all of my
bad blocks.  Installation was smooth sailing.

I am having some problems, though, and maybe you can help me.

1.  My Toshiba Fn-keys don't work.  For example, I normally use Fn-F2 to
cycle through my power saving modes (sometimes even when I"m on battery
power I want to run the machine full-tilt for a small while).  This key
combination does nothing.  Nor does Fn-F3 (change sound volume), or the Fn
key that switches between the internal and external monitor.  In fact,
none of 'em work!

2.  I have my  BIOS set to turn the screen's power off after 2
minutes of no activity.  This works fine -- if I leave the machine alone
for 2+ minutes, it will turn off the LCD.  But when I press any key (to
reactivate the screen), the screen does not reactivate -- it stays powered
off.  I can still use the system (i.e. if I press backspace I can hear my
bash shell beeping at me, I can type "reboot" and the system reboots
etc.) so it is not completely locked up.

3.  I tried using the "green" screen saver, and the DPMS (Energy Star)
support in XFree86.  It does not work -- the screen blanks (i.e. it turns
black), but the power to the LCD remains on.  Yes, my LCD display is
Energy Star compliant.

4.  Last, I think I need a new pccard.conf entry for my ethernet card.
It's a Linksys Ethernet Combo card model EC2T).  Someone told me that the
"CIS tuples" for the newer Linksys cards (mine was bought just a week ago)
are different than the ones currently in the FreeBSD config file.  Does
anyone have the proper pccard.conf for one of these "new" Linksys cards?

Once I get these minor issues settled, I'll be a very happy camper.  So if
you have any ideas, solutions, workarounds, etc. would you please post
them to the list?  (cc me by email also, if possible)

TIA for your help!!
---
Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com> - Ask me for my PGP key | PGP: Your
WWW HomePage: http://DonaldBurr.base.org/  ICQ #1347455 | right to
Address: P.O. Box 91212, Santa Barbara, CA 93190-1212   | 'Net privacy.
Phone: (805) 957-9666    FAX: (800) 492-5954            | USE IT.