Date:      Sat, 14 Mar 1998 21:34:55 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Robert Watson <robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Aleksey Zvyagin <zal@rest.ru>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help! Upgrade 2.2.5-RELEASE to 2.2-STABLE.

> > If you update /sbin/mount at the same time, it's a no-op.  I got bitten
> > by the two different "dedicated" disk types issue though; that hurt.
> > The fix is still being tested in -current, but I haven't heard any
> > complaints about it, so I was planning to bring it over tonight.
> >
> > I think it was my turn to be bitten by a "this is simple and innocouous
> > and will reduce world ugliness" change.  8(
>
> In fact, there are situations where the upgrade of /sbin/mount and the
> kernel at the same time on a "sliced" machine *WILL NOT WORK*.

There were situations.  The situation in question eluded my testing,
and whilst I had a fix for it relatively quickly, I wanted to soak it
in -current for a day or two at least.

The fix has now been committed; there are no legitimate disk
configurations that I am currently aware of where the slice information
passed in from the bootstrap is not now correctly handled.

> That is, there are two slices on wd0, the boot device.  The a partition
> (wd0a) completely fills wd0s1.  The other three partitions on wd0 are in
> wd0s2.  So the unfortunate news is that /dev/wd0s1a DID NOT EXIST.  The
> 2.0.5 install floppy that originally built the machine never created the
> slice entries in /dev, and therefore the remount from root_device to
> /dev/wd0s1a failed.  Talk about sucky.  The root_device is read-only by
> definition, and now one is at a single-user shell but cannot write to the
> device to create a device node, and cannot remount to make it writable. :)
> While this is definitely fixable, it is fairly sucky.  :)

This is not a "legitimate" configuration.  There' s not a great deal I
can do about missing device nodes.  8(

> Sorry to whine, but it was a generally unpleasent experience.  I should
> have checked more carefully, but to be honest, I probably never thought to
> create the slice /dev entries later because they were never used.  I have
> upgraded the machine from 2.0.5 up through 2.2.2 before switching to
> -STABLE and never had a problem. :)

I will happily concede (have already conceeded) that the timing of this was
very poor.  I'll wear the hair shirt for a few more days at least.