Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 2000 15:41:45 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Francisco Reyes <fran@reyes.somos.net>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Stable List <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Upcoming rc.conf changes not loading certain currently loaded daemons

On Thu, Aug 24, 2000 at 08:11:25AM -0400, Francisco Reyes wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Aug 2000 10:13:52 +0100, Nik Clayton wrote:
>
> >> What was the reason for these daemons been set to not start?
> >
> >Now, if you have an empty /etc/rc.conf then (in theory) no network services
> >are running.  This also means that if you want to find out what services are
> >started at boot time you only have to look in /etc/rc.conf, rather than
> >having to look at /etc/defaults/rc.conf as well.
>
> Then shouldn't we add the current programs which get started to
> /etc/rc.conf?

If you install using sysinstall then they are.  Have you actually read the
diffs and commit messages?

If you're upgrading to -current using the source code then they're not.  But
that's fine, because if you're running -current then you're reading the
-current mailing list, and you'll have seen the HEADS UP message that was
posted about this.

If you're running -stable then it's a non-issue, as these changes haven't
been merged.

> I know this is currently in "current", but won't this eventually
> make it to stable?

Maybe.  I would have thought that's unlikely though.  However, even if
it is, there'll be a HEADS UP posted to this mailing list, so you'll be
aware that it's an issue.