Date:      Sat, 18 Oct 2008 08:48:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gerardo Paredes <gerardon_paredes@yahoo.com>
To:        Stanislav Sedov <stas@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-cluster@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to on building a High Performance Server on FreeBSD

--- On Sat, 10/18/08, Stanislav Sedov <stas@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

From: Stanislav Sedov <stas@FreeBSD.org>
To: gerardon_paredes@yahoo.com
Cc: freebsd-cluster@freebsd.org
Date: Saturday, October 18, 2008, 3:34 AM

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 14:15:50 -0700 (PDT)
Gerardo Paredes <gerardon_paredes@yahoo.com> mentioned:

> I am giving a course for students who are about to finish their
undergraduate classes on Systems Engineering. We are trying to set up a Hig=
Performance cluster for mathematic applications.=A0=A0 Does someone on the =
list
know of a well written "howto" kind of document we can support
whenever we get stuck at something.
> =A0

What mechanism do you plan to use for parallel computation? If you'll go
for MPI I think the setup won't be different from any other UNIX, so any
documentation will apply.=20

Yes we do intend to use MPI, but i was talking about how to setup the clust=
er going through the NFS install, where to put /home, at the NFS server or =
locally?, if would be better to install the worker nodes as diskless, netbo=
oting machines, or can we arrange a setup of fully installed FreeBSD7.0 wor=
kstation to use their resources whenever somebody is not using them?=20

I believe this point hasn't been worked enough on the FreeBSD documentation=
, as good as the Handbook is, there isn't good documentation on how to setu=
p a cluster on it.

Gerardo Paredes