Date:      Sat, 9 Dec 1995 11:58:32 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        winter@jurai.net (Matthew N. Dodd)
Cc:        sreid@edmbbs.iceonline.com, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hardware for ISP / WWW server

> > 28.8 kbps modems for dial-up
>
> Run dialup from a terminal server.  A Livingston portmaster is a great
> box and has a very hackable security server. (Um... no, rather its easy
> to modify to suit your needs)

Ewww, no way.

A Livingston Portmaster has some pretty gnarly drawbacks:

1) has problems with subnets
2) requires you to waste IP addresses due to the way the thing reserves
   addresses for dropped connections
3) in the case of dropped connections totally bungles the way its handled
4) isn't really all that flexible
5) etc  (my mind can't think this morning)

I deal with sites that use FreeBSD as terminal servers and sites that use
Portmasters as terminal servers.  Invariably the sites with Portmasters have
all sorts of bizarro hacks in place to try to get around various problems
and limitations that these stupid devices seem to cause and/or impose.

If you want a "real" terminal server, buy an Annex.

If you want a more flexible solution than either of these two, go get a
dedicated FreeBSD box.  With the price of a 486DX4/120 motherboard being
around $200, 16MB of RAM for about $500, and a 16 port BocaBoard for about
$250, you can make a really reasonable terminal server quite easily.

I prefer the FreeBSD solution because it plays seamlessly with the rest of
my operations, I always have spare parts around in case of emergencies, I
like being able to do IP firewalling and arbitrary routing without
headaches, and all the other nifty stuff FreeBSD allows you to do..

... Joe