Date:      Mon, 15 Nov 2004 06:37:42 -0700
From:      "Butterworth, Thaddaeus (Manpower Contract)" <thad.butterworth@hp.com>
To:        "Olaf Hoyer" <ohoyer@ohoyer.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: RDEsktop/VNC questions

could >have been a PEBKAC situation. I could not get the screen
resolution of the >Windoze 2003 server to go anything beyond 640x480 and
it looked horribly >grainy. Other than that, it did actually connect and
allowed me to do all >that I needed to. I just couldn't handle the
graphic element, which again >may have been more a user issue than an
issue with the program. Other than >that, I have used the Windows RDC
programs and they work ok.

>> Thad
>
>I use rdesktop regularly to administer some of our Win2003 Servers, and

>it works well. Special trick is, that I need to hop first on a jumppad,

>where an extra NIC is attached to the dedicated management VLAN of the=20
>Win boxes, and then hop on them via X-forwarded rdesktop- works well,=20
>despite that jumppad is a small old crappy Pentium-II, which is also=20
>busy doing some other things...
>

>so:
>ssh -X jumppad
>rdesktop -g 1024x768 win-server
>
>That shall give you some window in 1024x768, normal is 800x600 in=20
>standard mode. when its smaller, I guess you havent configured the=20
>Graphics driver, or its set to standard VGA. Win (also for remote=20
>connections) sometimes looks after that settings...
>
>HTH
>Olaf
>

>--=20
>Olaf Hoyer        ohoyer@ohoyer.de
>Fuerchterliche Erlebniss geben zu raten,
>ob der, welcher sie erlebt, nicht etwas Fuerchterliches ist.
>(Nietzsche, Jenseits von Gut und Boese)

Thanks. I'll have to try that.

Thad