Date:      Wed, 3 Jan 2001 03:13:31 -0500
From:      "Dave VanAuken" <dave@hawk-systems.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   control keys in sh and ee for arrow keys/backspace

call me lazy but I generally use csh as a shell and enjoy the use of
arrow keys to navigate and scroll though recent commands...

two items I am seeking solutions for:

1.  when using FreeBSD's editor (ee I believe) it performs admirably
when using the local keyboard, but spits out the ^[[A,B,C,and D
characters when accessing it through Win2k's telnet window...  is this
an annoyance on fbsd's part or the W2k telnet application? Any
work-arounds?

2.  when using the sh shell, same result (control [[ characters
displayed) can something be scripted into the shrc file to tell it to
handle these keystokes accordingly (or ignore them and don't print out
the stupid control characters).

guidance and insight appreciated.

Dave