Date:      Mon, 22 May 2000 20:44:54 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        "Bill A. K." <billieakay@yahoo.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IE for FreeBSD Petition

On Mon, May 22, 2000 at 09:36:03AM +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
> [Format recovered--see http://www.lemis.com/email/email-format.html]
>
> On Sunday, 21 May 2000 at 15:50:14 -0400, Bill A. K. wrote:
> >
> > Hello everyone,
> >      I've had this petition up for a while, and I'm trying to get more traffic and names. I'm trying to get something to convince Microsoft to port Internet Explorer for UNIX to FreeBSD.
> > The URL for my site is http://www.iefreebsd.freeservers.com
> > If you would be interested in a small banner, etc. for your own web site, please let me know, and I'll see what I can do.
>
> I think this is a very bad idea.  Look at your mail message for one
> good reason why: Microsoft software is just plain broken.  You
> probably don't even realise that your message was written without line
> breaks.  Isn't it much easier to read like this?

Yes :) (mutt + emacs) > IE

Does no one remember that this same poster posted the same appeal on
5/9/99 under the thread "IE for FreeBSD"
(http://docs.freebsd.org/mail/archive/1999/freebsd-questions/19990912.freebsd-questions.html).
I've looked back through that thread and it was generally put down as
being a Bad Idea.

I've also looked at the poster's petition site and, apart from the
post you (Greg) added today, mine seems to be the only dissenting
voice (posted at the time of the original thread). Guess only those
who are in favour take the time to contribute to petitions.

> > I've had this petition up for a while, and I'm trying to get more
> > traffic and names. I'm trying to get something to convince Microsoft
> > to port Internet Explorer for UNIX to FreeBSD.  The URL for my site
> > is http://www.iefreebsd.freeservers.com If you would be interested
> > in a small banner, etc. for your own web site, please let me know,
> > and I'll see what I can do.
>
> In the FreeBSD project, we're trying to get away from Microsoft, not
> come closer to it.  If there were a counter-petition to ask Microsoft
> *not* to port IE, I would sign it.
>
> Greg
> --
> When replying to this message, please copy the original recipients.
> For more information, see http://www.lemis.com/questions.html
> Finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key
> See complete headers for address and phone numbers

        ...and on the eighth day God created UNIX