Date:      Thu, 11 Dec 1997 11:32:34 +0900
From:      Jun-ichiro itojun Itoh <itojun@itojun.org>
To:        Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Beginning SPARC port

	a bit delayed response:

>As has been alluded to in some of Jordan Hubbard's email, Sun
>Microelectronics (SME, the processor division of Sun) recently discussed
>paying FreeBSD core to officially support a port of FreeBSD to SPARC.
>These plans fell through in some way (I wasn't part of the discussion, so
>I don't know details), but SME is having me work on the port.  I'm a
>full-time employee of SME, and estimate that I can spend 30-35 hours per
>week of my work week on the SPARC FreeBSD porting effort (plus whatever
>personal time I spend).

	Great!

>1) Is it possible with cvsup to maintain my own source tree with my
>modifications, yet stay synched with current, so that once I have the
>kernel running, I can submit a single update to the current tree (or have
>someone with write access do it for me)?

	By performing simple grep for `outb', the following files seem to
	include i386-specific function calls.
pccard/pcic.c
pci/aic7870.c
pci/if_de.c
pci/ncr.c
pci/tek390.c
pci/wd82371.c
	I think there need to be big change to directory structure,
	and we should add some wrapper function for pci bus
	accesses, as NetBSD does....

	/sys/pci -> /sys/pci(generic) + /sys/i386/pci ?
	/sys/pccard -> /sys/pccard(generic) + /sys/i386/pccard ?
	/sys/pc98 -> /sys/i386/pc98 ? (possible?)
	or, /sys/arch/i386 and /sys/arch/sparc ?

itojun