Date:      Tue, 13 Jul 1999 19:47:17 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Magnwa Spiritseer <magnwa@lionking.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cyrix - > AMD K6-2 300

Magnwa Spiritseer wrote:

> The subject says it all.  I'm going from a Cyrix to an AMD processor.  The
> cyrix has been quite .. awkward (It's going to become a car MP3 player soon)
> and I was wondering if I need to do a build world , and kernel recompile, and
> such when I get the new AMD chip in?  Would it be an issue at all?

You might have to compile a new kernel. I don't know what class the K6 is
(586 or 686), but my Cyrix chip is recognized as a 486 class. Userland
binaries should be fine, though you may also have to recompile those which
use libkvm. (Not because of the CPU change, but because the new kernel
might be made of difference sources from the old one.) If you don't know
which binaries use libkvm, just rebuild the whole world.

The easiest way is just to try it with the new chip. If you get "panic:
cpu class not configured", stick the Cyrix back in and build a new
kernel with all classes to see which class the new one is detected as.
If you don't get that panic, everything should be fine.

--
Ben Smithurst            | PGP: 0x99392F7D
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk |   key available from keyservers and