Date:      Thu, 23 Sep 1999 15:10:51 +1200
From:      "Craig Harding" <crh@outpost.co.nz>
To:        Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Picture problems with Dynalink BT878 card with FreeBSD 3.2

Sorry for the delay in responding, I'm trying to deal with the usual
15 things at once...

Roger Hardiman wrote:

> > >   options BKTR_USE_PLL

Are there any plans for the driver to automatically decide if this is
required or not following card detection on boot, or is it
sufficiently complex that a compile-time option is required? It's not
a major problem for me, I was just more curious about future plans.

> > Warning - card vendor 0x144f (model 0x3002) unknown. This may
> > cause poor performance
>
> I may just ditch the "poor performance" warning.
>
> This tells I can modify the bt848 driver to look for card type
> 0x144f and auto-select your card. Great.
>
> Infact, I have just done this.
> Grab driver release 1.75 from my snapshot/beta test driver.

I've been using that, it autodetects the card type but it's assuming
an Temic NTSC tuner when in fact it should be a Philips FR1216.

> As for repeated crashes, I've got no idea what will be causing that.
> Can you email me your grab.c test parameters and I will try it here.

I've just been doing "grab 768 576 output.ppm", I've modified the
#defines in the source to assume PAL. I was quite puzzled by the
crashes until Jukka Simila emailed me and suggested:

> I had similar problems and the answer was I had Intel 430FX-based
> board so i needed the following in kernel:
>
> options "BKTR_430_FX_MODE"
>
> I noticed you have a 586 too, so maybe it is the same problem?

And that turned on the little lightbulb in my head and I remembered I
had all this happening in a reasonably old P75. Checking the
motherboard revealed that it's using an SiS chipset (dmesg says
	chip0: <SiS 85c501> rev 0x00 on pci0.0.0
	chip1: <SiS 85c503> rev 0x00 on pci0.1.0
). I tried both BKTR_430_FX_MODE and BKTR_SIS_VIA_MODE but the
lockups continued unabated - it appears that this mobo does not have
a well behaved PCI bus. The lockups are definitely correlated with
PCI activity, if I start up my little webcam shell script (just a
looping grab and cjpeg) and then begin a "find / -print" the machine
will lock hard almost straight away. Usually when I return to the
machine and find it frozen, the HD activity LED will be on (but no
drives will be moving).

Is there anything simple that can be done with the brooktree driver
to get the machine to be nice or will I have to bite the bullet and
get a new mboard & CPU?

						-- C.
--
Craig Harding                crh@outpost.co.nz    "I don't know about God, I