Date:      Thu, 15 Nov 2001 20:53:10 +0100
From:      Ruben van Staveren <ruben@verweg.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   -stable freezes

On Sun, Nov 11, 2001 at 12:36:41AM +0000, Tor.Egge@cvsup.no.freebsd.org wrote:
> One example is vinvalbuf() holding the vnode interlock while calling
> vm_object_page_remove() (which might block), cf. PR 26224.
>
> For 4.4-STABLE, it might make sense to just define some simplelock
> operations to nops also under SMP.  All relevant code is already
> serialized by mp_lock and further lock pushdown is unlikely to occur
> on that branch.  The only effect of these simplelock operations under
> 4.4-STABLE SMP is a hang or panic when the locking protocol is
> violated.

I had downgraded my machine from RELENG_4 to RELENG_4_4, that improved
stability a bit. It did not fix the random hangs of the whole system though.
Tried to break to the debugger running in a comconsole, didn't work too.

I had applied the patches to remove simplelocks, but it just made the system
more unstable again.

The system can still run unattended for a whole day, and perhaps even longer,
but when starting X the machine starts locking up as soon as 3 minutes. But it
can take 3 hours of moderate usage too.
The main difference is there is a lot more running around at X time, like
the gnome desktop and mozilla for instance. These programs make extensive
use of threading and shared memory, are there any changes in those subsystems
which makes recompilation necessary ?

Regards,
	Ruben