Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2007 10:18:43 -0700
From:      "pete wright" <nomadlogic@gmail.com>
To:        "Huy Ton That" <huyslogic@gmail.com>,  "FreeBSD Questions" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: sshd config config file question

On 7/10/07, Huy Ton That <huyslogic@gmail.com> wrote:
> No, it was unhashed. Thanks for pointing it out though. But the strange
> thing is when I run:
>
> /etc/rc.d/sshd status
>
> I get no message
>
> No message for start, restart, reload etc. I am performing these commands as
> root.
>
> Any ideas?

(couple things, please don't top post, and be sure to keep
questions@freebsd.org cc'd on this thread so others can help you)

i'm not sure what you mean about "no message".  make sure you have
sshd_enabled="YES" in your /etc/rc.conf.

also check to see if sshd is running by using "ps".  if it is not, try
starting it by hand - this will tell you if there are any errors on
startup.  once it starts cleanly by hand then use the init script in
/etc/rc.d/sshd.

the man page for sshd is very helpful, and should answer many of the
questions you may have - including how to start the daemon by hand,
etc..  type:
man sshd

-p

--