Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 2010 23:35:21 +0200
From:      Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Time to stop stripping binaries?

On Thursday 17 June 2010 22:33:34 M. Warner Losh wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Now that disks are big, can we stop stripping binaries by default?
>
> I've worked up a patch that lets you set WITH_BINARY_SYMBOLS or
> WITHOUT_BINARY_SYMBOLS as you see fit.  We should commit it regardless
> of the outcome of this discussion (well, defaulting to yes or no
> depending on the outcome).
>
> Why symbols: it makes core dumps easier to debug.
> Why no symbols: makes the system footprint bigger.
>
> Since there's good arguments both ways, I thought I'd make this a
> knob.
>
> Comments?

My vote is with symbols in current and stable, without in releases - by
default.  i.e. everything people build at home from an unknown repo state
should have symbols, everything we "ship" can be reproduced if needed.

The reasoning is that root (at least as prepared by previous sysinstall
default installs) is small already.  If we want to ship with symbols on by
default, we should start to increase the size of the root partition first.  We
might have done so already, but I'm not sure at the moment.  Just so we don't
alienate users by breaking the upgrade path with small roots.

Regards,
  Max